Read, Write, Imagine!
Writing contest winners enjoy lunch with some Cavalcade authors
Students at participating Cavalcade of Authors schools are invited to submit entries to the Cavalcade of Authors Short Story Writing Contest. There will be both a middle school and a high school division. Winners will receive the following prizes:
1st Place ~$75 gift certificate from Barnes & Noble.
2nd Place~$50 gift certificate from Barnes & Noble.
3rd Place~$25 gift certificate from Barnes & Noble.
Winners will also be invited to eat lunch with the authors at the Cavalcade event and will be published on the Cavalcade website with students’ permission. Download the details: 2017 writing contest
- Contest Deadline is Feb 10, 2017
- Submit 1 printed copy and an electronic copy of your story to your school librarian.
- The best story from each school will be judged by an independent panel of judges.
- Winners will be announced April 14, 2017. Winners not attending Cavalcade will be notified by their librarians.
Please contact Michelle Lane if you have any questions about the Cavalcade writing contest.
Students submitting stories who have registered independently, please email submission to: email@example.com. “
- You must be a student at a participating Cavalcade of Authors school.
- The short story must be no more than 1500 words.
- The story can be written in prose or verse.
- Story must be the original work of the entrant.
- The story must meet the format guidelines.
Submitted entries must:
- Be no more than 1500 words.
- Be double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font.
- The title should be printed at the top of the first page of the story.
- Include a cover sheet with the title of your story, your name, the name of your school, your grade, the name of your librarian, and the word count of the entry.
- On a separate page please state in writing your preference regarding whether or not you give permission to have your story published with your picture on our website. Date and sign this statement.
We encourage you to also enter the RadCon student art and short story contests. Learn more at http://www.radcon.org/student-contests/student-short-story-contest/
Congratulations to the Cavalcade short story contest winners. Thanks to everyone who entered. Keep writing!
|1st Anna Pearsall, Oasis Middle School
||2nd Samuel Gill, Carmichael Middle School
||3rd Makenna Farris, Chief Joseph Middle School
|Snowfall, by Anna Pearsall
||One Shot, by Samuel Gill
||Alone, by Makenna Farris
|1st Grace Camp, Cascade High School (Leavenworth)
||2nd Mikaela Matkowski, Kamiakin High School
||3rd Avenly Hansen, Pasco High School
|See You Around, by Grace Camp
||Shameless, by Mikaela Matkowski
||Spitting Image, by Avenly Hansen
Thanks to all the students who participated in our short story contest. Congratulations to these winning authors!
|1st Place: Camilla McKinnon, Chief Joseph Middle School, Richland
||2nd Place: Daisy Moore, Garrison Middle School, Walla Walla
||3rd Place: Theron Peterson, Desert Hills Middle School, Kennewick
|The King’s Man
||I Am M
|1st Place: Megan Johnson, Hanford High School, Richland
||2nd Place: Zaire Moon, Pasco High School, Pasco
||3rd Place: Quinn Milam, Phoenix High School, Kennewick
|Your Future Dictator
|| Voice Mail
Congratulations to the 2013 Cavalcade of Authors short story winners
First Place: Kalliea Snowden (Hanford High School ) Needing More
Second Place: Emily Aardahl (Desert Hills Middle School) An Orphan’s Dream
Third Place: Yun-A Kwak (Chief Joseph Middle School) Starless Nights
Congratulations to the 2011 Short Story winners:
1st Place – Yuna Kwak from Chief Joseph Middle School
2nd Place – Alaina Wangsgaard from Chief Joseph Middle School, “One Wish“
3rd Place – Anita Whyatt from Enterprise Middle School, “Vigilante’s Tale“
Honorable Mention – Yean Ly from Park Middle School, “A Classical Twist“
Honorable Mention – Riley McShane from Chief Joseph Middle School, “Dream Portals: Sacore’s Stuggle“